Looking for a Pie & Whiskey event? Click here.
“This project began as a reading series organized by [Kate] Lebo and [Sam] Ligon, in which they sent 12 writers a pie and whiskey prompt to inspire new work. Six years later, they have created an anthology that’s just as eclectic, drunk and delicious.”
—The New York Times
“In vino, veritas; in whiskey, wit; in pie pleasure. With that Latin-inspired preamble, we are called west to an all-American literary event held annually in Spokane and Missoula named Pie & Whiskey. And yes, pie and whiskey are served while seriously talented writers read their new works loosely based on, yes again, pie and whiskey.”
“Wonderful relatable storytelling, executed brilliantly.”
—San Francisco Book Review
Pie & Whiskey: Writers Under the Influence of Butter and Booze is the tent revival of literary events where writers present original works based on prompts that include the words “pie” or “whiskey” or both. This anthology collects the best of that writing along with new pieces to bring this spirited gathering to the printed page. The New York Times calls it “eclectic, drunk and delicious.”
Look here for…
- Robert Wrigley on Ten High, rotgut, Jack, and Jim Beam.
- Paisley Rekdal on WC Fields.
- Anthony Doerr on teen love and Heavenly Pie.
- Elissa Washuta on the whiskey swilling man-babies of Tinder.
- Jess Walter on how to spike Thanksgiving dinner.
- Kate Lebo on the American Gothic House and funeral pie.
- Samuel Ligon on cocktails with Pat Nixon and Sacajawea.
- Steve Almond on what happens in the kitchen when the kiddies go to bed.
- Shawn Vestal on Frito Pie.
- Kim Barnes on the pleasures of smoking, drinking, salt, and opera.
- Thom Caraway on hungover poets lost in the woods.
…and more tasty literary servings.
Find your copy on Indiebound.